Wednesday, May 18, 2011

I love Amsterdam-2

4. Here in Amsterdam, the speed of internet is high and you can access to different websites without any extra effort. I know that this is the fact in many countries, but I’m talking about Amsterdam and what makes me happy here. In Iran, the speed of internet in homes is so slow. You should wait a lot to check your email (The situation is not too bad in universities or work places). With that speed, you can not use Google map (Although, the maps of the roads in Iran are not that much clear, and even with high-speed internet you can not use it like here in Amsterdam). In addition to the speed of the internet, which is part of government policy against freedom, most of the websites are filtered and it’s going to be worse and worse. Youtube, facebook, twitter, etc. I remember that I searched an expression containing the word “women” for my master thesis in university and it was filtered. You should waste lots of time to find an anti-filter and accept even slower speed with that. Most people can’t undertake these efforts and ignore checking the website they wanted to check.
5. Dutch people are much happier and also kinder than Iranian people. These days, there are lots of pressures on Iranian families. In big cities, you even do not have clean air to breath. The waters are becoming worse and worse. The nature is ruined because of their false plans and they do not let any one to protest. The noises they send against satellites, is at least some kind of pressure on your thought. There are lots of young people without any job, so they do not have money to get married. Thanks God, I have home, I have food, I can study, my husband has job and I can be sure that at least I can have a job in the university of my hometown. Our house is located in a nice area of Tehran; the weather is better than the other parts, it’s less crowded, the streets are wide, there are much more parks and green areas compared to other parts. But still, there is too much pressure on me. It’s about 1:30 hours to the university. I should change taxis and buses one by one, lose my value as a human being in the crowded buses, see poor people on my way, see people who I can not understand how they continue living, see children on traffic lights selling flowers, and in the university they tell you as a phd student, you should wash your dishes in the toilet. Then again, in the afternoon, I should come back to home with a bad memory of that day. How can I smile to other people? Everyone is anxious and depressed and they can not treat each other in a true way. This is like “if and only if” , when one side of that becomes worse, this happens for the other side and this circle continues.
6.  Here in Amsterdam, you can experience a much more moral life. In your workplace because of the organization and the rules, you can be moral. On the streets, on the buses, you can be moral. This is too hard in Iran. Gradually you become like other parts of system. You try not to act the rules. If you try to be moral in your work place, you would bear lots of pressure and even you may loose your job. I have thought a lot about the reason. Why our official systems have this much problem? I believe that both government and people should alter themselves. For people, there should be some cultural work. But, I think the first step should be traversed by the government. In Iran, if you care about being moral, this is an extra pressure on you. Every night, at home, I had to think about my false behaviors during the day. Most of the time I was sad because of this. Why did I talk on behalf of that person? Why didn’t I treat properly with that student who wanted help? Why didn’t I smile to people in my way to the university? Why did my husband pass the red light? Why didn’t I help that poor man? Why didn’t I let other people to sit on the seat because of my poor reason of being tired? Why did I complain my mother about the bad treatment in minister of science? Why did I transfer my problems to the other?
Here, in Amsterdam at least in your daily life, you can be moral without any pressure.

No comments:

Post a Comment